7.18.2011

The Pale Blue Dot

Not sure how most of you guys fared last week after the storm in these parts but if you were like me you didn't have any power most of the week. I lost my power at 8am Monday the 11th and didn't get it back until Thursday the 14th at 2pm. A total of about 4 whole days without water and power. I'm on well and septic so we couldn't shower or flush. It sucked but it wasn't the worst thing to ever happen. Monday was rough with the heat but after that died down it made everything more comfortable. The worst part was when the sun went down, just darkness. I had been bitching about something earlier that day and Jessi said to me, "at least we don't live in a 3rd country."
Not in a snobby way but in a way to tell me to stop my whining. And when the sun went down I was just sitting here thinking about what she said. Thinking about the world crashing and living in chaos and all of our resources being drained. Thinking about the people who do actually live with no water and power and have done so for many years. Thinking about how we as lazy Americans have crafted a lifestyle to suit our every need with the least bit of complication or struggle. Thinking about how we take so many things for granted. My head was swimming with all these different thoughts and then it hit me......we're just a pale blue dot floating in a corner of the universe.
I don't want to go all weird on ya here but it just all got me thinking. No matter what walk of life you're from or how easy or hard you have it, we're all just a speck of dust floating in the infinite.
All I could think of was the reading by Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot. I could go on and on but Sagan just nails it so perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment